“As long as I can remember, the two careers I wanted to pursue were being a lawyer or an officer in the United States Army. I am grateful I have had an opportunity to do both.”
Injury attorney Karl Truman began his military career when he enlisted in 1981. He then enrolled in Army ROTC at the University of Kentucky, where he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in 1983. He worked his way through the ranks, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel in 2009 after 28 years of service.
Karl’s Military Service
His military training includes:
- Armor Officer Basic and Advanced Course at Ft. Knox, KY
- Nuclear Biological and Chemical Defense Operations Course
- The Air Assault Course at Ft. Campbell, KY
- Airborne School at Ft. Benning, GA
- M1 Transition Course
- Anti-Terrorism Instructor Course with the J.F.K. Center for Special Warfare at Ft. Bragg, NC
- Combined Arms Services Staff School
- Total Army Instructor Training Course
- Command and General Staff College
- Reserve Component National Securities Issues Seminar with the Army War College
Highlights of his duty assignments include serving as:
- Infantry Rifle Platoon Leader
- Mortar Platoon Leader
- Executive Officer of an Armor Training Company
- Training Operations Officer with Task Force 100 in direct support of Operation Desert Storm
- Commander of an Armor Training Company
- Executive Officer of a Division Headquarters Company
- Chief of APMS Operations
- Instructor with the Combined Arms and Services Staff School
- Deputy Chief of Staff of a Division Command
- Army Service Ribbon
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal
- Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal (with Silver Oak Leaf Cluster)
- National Defense Service Ribbon
- Army Achievement Medal
- Army Commendation Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal (with Oak Leaf Cluster)
Karl Truman’s Legal Career
Mr. Truman’s legal career began in 1987, when he earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Louisville. In 1991, he started the Karl Truman Law Office, which serves clients from the greater Louisville, Kentucky, and Jeffersonville, Indiana, areas.
In addition to being licensed to practice in both Indiana and Kentucky, Mr. Truman is also admitted to practice before the:
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
Mr. Truman is certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, and has also received certification in Pre-Trial Procedure by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He received a diploma from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, and he is accredited to represent veterans before the Department of Veterans Affairs.
He is active in a number of professional associations, including the:
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Kentucky Justice Association
- American Association for Justice
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Mr. Truman served as a past president for the Clark County (Indiana) Bar Association, and he was honored with the Consumer Advocate Award by the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association for providing free legal services related to the 9-11 Victims Compensation Fund.
Mr. Truman is also a member of civic associations including the Buckner Masonic Lodge #631, the Scottish Rite Valley of Indianapolis, the Murat Shrine Temple, and the Sellersburg Planning and Zoning Board and Board of Zoning Appeals. He previously served on the Sellersburg Town Council and as a past president of the Clark County Democrat Men’s Club.
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured?
If you suffered an injury that was caused by the negligence of another, please contact the Karl Truman Law Office today to schedule your free case consultation. Our experienced injury attorneys welcome clients from the greater Louisville, Kentucky, and Jeffersonville, Indiana, areas.
We are active throughout the community – watch for our custom vehicle!
Order free copies of our principal attorney’s books on injury law and disability benefits.